A couple years back a friend of ours at Put This On posted a great article titled “The Seven-Shoe Wardrobe.” In the piece, the writer discussed the seven shoes that he believed made up a basic shoe wardrobe for men. These seven shoes, in his opinion, were suffice to get a man through his weekday and weekend wear year-round. We thought it would be helpful to provide our readers with a guide to the basic sock wardrobe.
Even the finest dress socks, like those made by Dapper Classics, are more affordable than shoes. Some men will have sock wardrobes that expand well beyond the basics. However, men sometimes lack direction when making their sock purchases and, as a result, end up not having socks appropriate for certain times and events. As such, we think the following list will be useful for men who already have an impressive sock collection and those who are just starting a sock wardrobe.
So, here’s what we believe comprises the basic sock wardrobe. First are your Solid socks, which come in two categories: year-round and seasonal. The first two socks on our list are fitting for wear in every season. The second two solids on the list are season-specific.
1. Solid Navy — Solid navy makes for the quintessential dress sock. Most men wear navy, charcoal, and brown pants in the workplace. Navy dress socks go with nearly every color. They also pair nicely with a wide range of suits, business casual wear, denim, and other weekend attire. Being the most versatile sock a man can own, the navy dress sock is a must have. Dapper Classics offers Solid Navy socks in over-the-calf and mid-calf fits.
2. Solid Black — Just as every man needs a pair of black oxfords, he also needs a pair of black socks. There are certain occasions that require a black suit. For these–typically formal–events, it is best to go for an altogether traditional ensemble. Black socks will help you achieve this classic look. Dapper Classics offers Solid Black socks in an over-the-calf fit in cotton and wool and a mid-calf fit in cotton and wool.
3. Solid Pink — Spring and Summer call for brighter colors. A solid pink sock is ideal for both seasons. Pink socks allow you to add color to your wardrobe without being too outlandish with your footwear. Pink pairs well with other pastel colors commonly worn in Spring and Summer and looks great with khakis and light-colored chinos. These socks are also stylish in casual shoe options, like loafers and sneakers. Dapper Classics offers Solid Pink socks in over-the-calf and mid-calf fits.
4. Solid Grape — Fall and Winter are often associated with specific colors: red, green, and orange. These colors make for great socks, but the crossover appeal from one season to the next isn’t ideal. Both Fall and Winter warrant socks that are rich in color. A Solid Grape sock fits the bill and works well in both seasons. Nothing says luxury quite like the color purple. These socks can make even the most casual outfit seem majestic. Dapper Classics offers a Solid Grape sock in an over-the-calf fit.
Next are your dot socks. Dapper Classics carries two types of dot socks: polka-dots and pin-dots. Dot socks are a subtle way to add personality to your outfit. For a basic wardrobe, we recommend one light-colored style and one dark-colored style.
5. Sky Blue with Navy Polka-Dot — This basic sock is one of our most popular styles. The two shades of blue complement each other well and create exciting matching opportunities with other accessories–namely, neckties. A Sky Blue with Navy Polka-Dot sock looks especially dapper with grey dress pants but is also fitting for casual looks. The sock is equally stylish in brown and black dress shoes. Dapper Classics offers a Sky Blue with Navy Polka-Dot sock in an over-the-calf fit.
6. Brown with Ivory Pin-Dot — The Brown with Ivory Pin-Dot sock offers a modern take on the classic brown dress sock. As mentioned above, brown pants are common workwear. The Brown with Ivory Pin-Dot sock looks sharp with brown pants and khakis alike. The fine pin-dot creates an elegant textured appearance that will be sure garner compliments. This sock looks fashionable in a variety of shoes–from wingtips to monkstraps–and also goes well with boots, such as suede chukkas. Dapper Classics offers a Brown with Ivory Pin-Dot sock in an over-the-calf fit.
7. The Seventh Pair — The seventh pair will be your choice. The idea here is to select a sock that is distinctly you. Since we didn’t include any in our basic wardrobe recommendations above, you might consider a style from our Stripe Collection or Pattern Collection. If you live in a warm climate, you may want to go with a soft mercerized cotton sock. If you live in a region with particularly harsh winters, perhaps you’ll want to choose a style from our Fine Merino Wool Collection.
While we believe the recommendations above will help a gentleman establish his basic sock wardrobe, it is important to remember that style is unique to the individual. As our aforementioned friend put it in his article, “There’s tremendous variation in classic men’s style, and given that people live different lifestyles in different regions, it seems only the individual can say what’s right for him.”